Learn to actually make the jewelry you
dream of creating!
Get ready for an unparalleled learning experience. Tap into Kent Raible’s 50 years of goldsmithing experience and transform your work today!
5 DAYS WITH KENT CAN DRAMATICALLY ENHANCE YOUR ABILITY TO CREATE THE JEWELRY YOU DREAM OF CREATING!
Kent Raible’s in-person workshops are ONLY for jewelers who are:
1) Committed to advancing their skills NOW. Not next year, not someday, NOW. 2) Ready to have individual attention, direct feedback and be challenged by a true master goldsmith. 3) Interested in learning Kent’s solderless fusing and 18karat gold granulation techniques. 4) Ready to play full out, push yourself and go for the rewards. 5) Have a blast while studying with Kent in his private studio!
Our in person workshops are only for jewelers who have their basic skills in place.
You’ve learned what you can from trade schools, videos and YouTube. You are ready to push beyond your own way of working and TRANSFORM your work by learning from a true master!. Kent is ready to answer your questions, share his processes from concept to finished piece, work with you on design and execution, fabrication and so much more! He is literally giving YOU access to his vast knowledge for 5 days!
This is not for you if…
1) You’re not willing to invest time and money in advancing your skills. 2) You’re not ready to focus and apply yourself to creating awesome jewelry! 3) You’re not ready to work in gold. 4) You’re unwilling to learn and use a blowpipe torch for 5 days. 5)You’re too embarrassed to ask questions and be around advanced jewelry makers. 6) You’re willing to let fear hold you back, because we’re playing full out!
Kent is here to take intermediate and advanced jewelers to the next level. If you struggle with filing, soldering and sawing you would not be able to fully benefit from this class. We invite you to achieve proficiency in these skills and apply next year!
The core of the workshop will be learning Kent’s 18 karat gold granulation and solderless fabrication techniques. Here are additional areas we can cover….
Creating our own stock: From melting and pouring our gold ingots, to the use of rolling mills and drawplates to make your own sheet, different shapes of wire, and tubing stock.
- Forming and advanced fabrication skills
- Design, planning and execution of specific projects
- Stone setting
- Engraving and graver sharpening skills
- So many more possibilities!
Truthfully, Kent has inspired plenty of improvement in my work and helped to reignite the passion for making exceptional pieces. I am fusing rather than soldering more and more to build settings. The metalwork on my cloisonné pieces has grown dramatically and I will continue to learn from Kent whenever the opportunity arises. Studying with Kent online is an exciting prospect. I prefer my own tools and workspace, I prefer my own schedule and I prefer my own projects- Now I can have all of this and get Kent’s help too!
- Gold! You will need a minimum of ½ troy ounce pure gold, I recommend a full ounce.
- You will use this to make a very specific 18 karat granulation alloy.
- If you prefer, you can purchase the gold alloy from us for your class needs (priced above spot). We will also be able to take back any uncontaminated scrap you don’t want at the end of class.
- If you have favorite hand tools of your own, you are welcome to bring them, but all you need in the way of tools will be provided.
- Closed-toed, clean workshop shoes.
- Personal magnifying eye-wear and safety glasses.
What happens when you go back to your own studio?
- You’ll be given access to our new private granulation Facebook group to get continued support!
- You’ll have detailed information to get your studio set up to granulate!
- You’ll receive a discount code to tool up with Otto Frei!
Meet Your Master Teacher……
MORE ABOUT SOLDERLESS FABRICATION
The blowpipe is an awesome tool for the solderless fusing technique I use for most of my 18K fabrication and granulation. In a nutshell, this involves the introduction of a copper salt to the parts of gold or seams that will be joined. The reducing flame provided by the blowpipe acts on the copper salt to reduce it to pure copper, which then starts to blend with the gold at a very high temperature. As the copper liquifies the surface of the gold, capillary attraction causes the liquid metal to flow into the areas to be joined! Definitely my favorite way to work!
ABOUT THE BLOWPIPE TORCH
I do about 90% of my gold and silver joining and soldering operations with a blowpipe, and I absolutely love using it. This torch provides easy and quick adjustment of the flame as I work, and can produce a variety of flames, from pinpoint oxidizing heat, to large, reducing flames for general heating and granulation. The large reducing flames are great for inhibiting oxidation of my metals at high heat. I also find that the act of breathing into my work helps me focus on what I’m doing. The pilot light eliminates the need for repeated lighting of the torch as I work.
Learning to use this torch is a lot like learning to engage a clutch while driving a car. Because you are using your breath to supply the oxygen, you have to learn to coordinate breathing with the gas dial, without running out of breath while you’re working. It’s a lot like using your gas pedal and the clutch pedal at the same time, while also steering.This requires a new skill set: pushing some breath out through the air tube to get the pressure you need (which varies as you are working) while adjusting the propane with your hand, while breathing normally and focusing on the desired outcome of the operation.
Like driving a car, this will become second nature as you practice, and the benefits of using this torch are worth it!
THE STUDIO AND YOUR PERSONAL WORKBENCH
I’m often asked how I set up my workshop, my bench, and what my workflow looks like. Now you will be able to see and experience it for yourself!
- Immerse yourself in an old world style goldsmithing studio
- Custom made goldsmithing benches with lots of room to work
- Small class sizes = lots of individual attention
- 6 students, three soldering stations, two rolling mills, lots of forming tools, smithing/forming area, lots of natural light, and so much more!
Hi, I’m Kent Raible
For the first time ever, I will be opening up my new private studio to share the knowledge I have gained in nearly 50 years of metalsmithing – teaching you techniques, design skills, and more, to help you create the jewelry of your dreams!
I am streamlining my knowledge so that I can offer you a direct route to up-level your skills in specific areas. You will be able to dive deeper into the creative manipulation of metal and create more beautifully executed and complex designs.
Thank you for following along here. I love making jewelry, and plan to continue to push beyond my own boundaries as I always have. Now, I want to help you do the same.
I hope you will join me here in my studio, I can’t wait to see what you will make next!
MEALS, TRAVEL AND LODGING
We are located in southwestern Washington state, between Portland and Seattle.
We recommend flying into Portland Oregon, or Seattle Washington. We always prefer the Portland airport. Closer, less traffic, and overall a better experience. We are less than two hours from Portland, a little over two hours from Seattle.
There are many vacation rentals in the area, as well as a very basic hotel, and campgrounds.
We provide a buffet style breakfast and lunch during the class.
Details of exact location and suggestions of where to stay etc. will be provided once you have registered for the class.
WHAT TO DO IN THE AREA
Want to stay in the area longer and enjoy the Pacific Northwest? Summer in the Pacific Northwest is sublime! Within 1-3 hours from the studio you can find some of the most beautiful places on earth! Mt. Rainier, Mt. Saint Helens, Olympic National Park with four rainforests, hiking, fishing, Portland, Seattle! Loads of fun to be had!